[lit-ideas] Re: The raw and the cooked and the half-baked

  • From: "Walter C. Okshevsky" <wokshevs@xxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 17:45:40 -0330

"Un philosophe?" Moi, je pense que non. Mais apres un peu du Oban ou Glenliver
15 ans, peut-etre je voudrais changer mon opinion. Mais pour l'instant ..

When it is claimed that Claude L-S was a philospher, what does this mean?
Cultural anthropological work, being empirical inquiry, regardless of
objections otherwise, is surely of no necessary philosophical significance
whatsoever, as far as I can see. Is there something in his "structuralist"
approach that qualifies his work as philosophical?

Offering his half-baked views,

Walter O
MUN

P.S. I saw the man once, while he was hunched over a desk in his office at the
Sorbonne. Though his door was half-open, I decided not to intrude upon his
privacy and concentration. It was the Fall of 1976. I was seeing Michelle, one
of his doctoral students in Cultural Anthropology, Mao had just died and I
desperately was in need of financially gainful employment. It was all so
complicated. Chess in The Gardens on BoulMiche helped somewhat - both
financially and spiritually - but I still nurse the wounds. Only refuge in
apple-picking in Kent, The Garden of England - at 50 pence a bushel - permits
me to tell the tale today.