[lit-ideas] Re: The only sensible solution

  • From: "Judith Evans" <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 20:36:44 +0100

EY> "...and thus
> allow the democratic process to work itself out."
>The guy should get an award for the most
> bodacious and surreal use of the phrase "the democratic process"

I quote from the article

"(Ahmadinejad) is not a player in the high-power clerical clique.
By virtue of the mandate the Iranian electorate handed him and the
modicum of integrity invested in his office because of its previous
occupant, he carries certain limited authority, but not much power."

I don't know all that much about about the political system in Iran but on
the
basis of this and other information would say

a.  Iran does possess democratic forms but may be ruled by a non-elected
 power elite.  Such nations are "democratic" to differing extents, Iran is
presumably (I can't say this categorically) towards the "non-democratic" end
of that particular continuum.

b.   The notion that it is more democratic for the ("democratic") process to
"work itself out" in Iran without external intervention is not risible.

c. A notion that external intervention in Iranian politics is in some manner
more "democratic" or is more conducive to "democracy" is not non-risible.

d.  the writer may (it's impossible to tell) mean not the current process of
elections in Iran but a process of democratization.

e. EY>the Mullah-thugs in Iran have kept their
EY>revolution as hard line as always, and have shown no signs,
EY>ever, of disavowing terrorism or militant expansion.

this is  irrelevant to the point about democracy.  That they are an
unaccountable power elite -- if that is so -- certainly is relevant to a
consideration of whether Iran is democratic in substance.  Their policies
are not.  If the Iranian people voted democratically to hang all gays that
would be "democratic" insofar as majoritarian democracy is (I would oppose
the decision, would if it was in my power try to do something about it,
yes).

Judy Evans, Cardiff