[lit-ideas] Re: The meaning of life

  • From: Eric Dean <ecdean99@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2008 03:48:10 +0000

I'm thinking it died in the US sometime in the late '70's, early '80's.  In the
mid-70's, at my second wife's family's house in Gallatin, Tennessee, they had
cocktail hour pretty much every night, and that meant mixed drinks, not a glass
of wine or a beer.  Similarly at our friends' parents' houses.  We and our
friends, for the most part, would drink beer or wine when we drank.

In the UK, I was offered scotch and soda -- the real thing, the fizzy water in
a bottle with a nozzle and a handle -- at evening work functions into the
mid-90's.  But even that seems to have faded away of late.

Eric Dean
Likely still to refuse the soda, as before, if ever offered again, but as happy
to accept the scotch now as then

From: ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: The meaning of life
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2008 15:16:48 -0800
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

You remind me of a thought I had earlier this week...that I've never in my
lifetime been offered a whisky and soda.  I wonder when that era died.
David Ritchie,not likely to accept one, if offered

On Dec 6, 2008, at 3:09 PM, Eric Dean wrote:Mike -- I am flattered and honored.

I raise my glass with its 2nd-rate blended scotch over ice -- it should be
Bourbon and branch water for an appropriately Tennessean salute, but ah well.

Regards,
Eric Dean
Washington DC