[lit-ideas] The king who abdicated and the revolutionary new guard

  • From: cblists@xxxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2011 22:16:58 +0100

Two threads that I'd tie together more succinctly if I had the time ....

The King who abdicated:

Today is Alfred Brendel's 80th birthday. Brendel retired 'from the concert platform' (as Wikipedia puts it) in 2008.

Here's an excerpt from Alfred  Brendel in conversation with Bruce Duffie

http://www.bruceduffie.com/brendel2.html

AB: I try never to forget that the composer is there first, that without the composer I would not be on stage at all, that one has to serve the composer as best as one can. But it means not to be just totally literal, but to bring a piece to life, and to bring it to life before our present-day ears, for our present-day conditions. So it is not possible, what I felt was sometimes done in the fifties and early sixties, to try to switch off your own personality and expect the ghost of the composer coming down directly from heaven if you do.

BD: You’ve abandoned this?

AB: I have never done it. I was always opposed to it, but I felt that at that time there were quite a few people who subscribed to it.

And the revolutionary new guard? Just over a year ago I waxed ecstatic about Lisa Batiashvili. On Jan 1st of this year I serendipitously tuned in to a most interesting 'bringing to life before our present-day ears' of Beethoven's Violin Concerto in D Major (Op. 61).

As an anodyne to the seasonal melancholy from which I know I suffer not alone, i particularly prescribe that piece of music. I translate/ paraphrase freely from Paul Bekker's opus on Beethoven's work: "Beethoven obviously wrote here with a special love during hours of happiest inspiration. The work opens in celebratory anticipation; the themes stress the lyrical qualities of the violin as the queen of the orchestra - here almost dreamily singing, here shining with majestic splendour, closing the movement in yearning rapture. The slow second movement takes on the poetic character of an improvised conversation; not as a debate between opposites, but a confirmatory dialogue between orchestra & soloist. The work pinnacles in a violin song of bewitching beauty & intimacy, out of which suddenly rises the orchestra energetically calling out the joyous life-affirming finale."

I wrote in late 2009 about Lisa Batiashvili; this year it is another young East European - Patricia Kopatchinskaja - who has captured my attention with a rather controversial interpretation (the critics unsurprisingly span the spectrum). I'm glad to have heard and to continue to listen to it. Does anyone else who's heard it care to comment?

Chris Bruce,
writing with best wishes to
all of you for the New Year,
from Kiel, Germany