[lit-ideas] Re: The flu

Some general thoughts.  It's thought that garlic has to be immediately eaten
once it's peeled and chopped or the allicin compounds in it break down, so
Garlique may or may not have any active ingredients in it.  Allicin is also
found in onions.  Garlic's effect on blood platelets is not nailed down
although there is evidence that it may be beneficial, but who wants to eat it
raw?  Regarding the zinc, staying within the RDA is probably safe.   People who
eat a lot of oysters and sea food would already be getting quite a bit of zinc.

Regarding Omega 3 capsules, they are a supplement.  As a general rule,
supplements only work when there is a deficiency (except for treatment of a
specific disease that comes to mind, but one must first have the disease).
Supplements have a major drawback over whole food, specifically that in real
food there can be many, perhaps dozens, of compounds, while supplements are
isolated.   Also, no one knows how compounds interact with each other and in
what quantities.  For example, in several reputable studies beta carotene
supplements have been associated with *higher* rates of lung cancer in smokers.
 Still, Dean Ornish recommends omega 3 supplements for those who don't eat
fish.  Ornish is a proponent of low fat vegetarian diets for heart disease
prevention and treatment.

http://my.webmd.com/content/pages/2/3079_1700.htm

Colds and other sickness relief is often a result of the placebo effect.  The
placebo effect is so powerful and so quantitatively measurable that people with
Parkinson's disease and knee problems have reported improvement of symptoms
from placebo treatments.  It might be why chicken soup "works".

Andy Amago