[lit-ideas] Re: The end?

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2007 14:18:27 -0800

Paul Stone wrote:

No I don't know. I admit I don't know. And without speaking for him, as
Robert said [paraphrasing of course] earlier today... just because I'm
not with you, doesn't mean I'm against you.

I'm always happy to have people speak for me but in this case, although I agree with the principle Paul sets out above, my earlier point was that someone who asks for evidence that x, need not believe not-x. That was all.

If this were not so, the explanations ('evidence') given to schoolchildren in beginning science classes (e.g., that metals were good conductors of electricity, or that sodium chloride was soluble in water) would be aimed at presumed sceptics--which may be true, but I think seldom is, even though schoolchildren can be quite sceptical. And with good reason.

Carry on.

Robert Paul