[lit-ideas] Re: The Worst Verses Ever Written

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2011 09:02:10 +0100 (BST)

--- On Mon, 6/6/11, Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx <Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> In a message dated 6/6/2011 6:58:13  P.M., donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx
> writes:
> >>It may be argued that a poet  is NOT aiming at
> _good_ poems.
> And indeed that they have easily enough  achieved
> their aim.
>
> --- uh? The nonexistence of an aim on the part of a poet
> (to produce a good
>  poem) does not seem to allow for a judgement on the same
> poet having thus
> achieved an aim of his?

My quip was not a thesis in philosophical logic. Nevertheless this depends on
whether we equate 'I am not aiming for a good poem' with 'I am aiming for a
poem that is not good' - arguably (as you suggest), we do not, because not to
aim for a good poem leaves open the possibility of not aiming at any standard
at all. However, the result will always be a good or bad poem, so irrespective
of the conscious aim of the writer a poem can always be judged to a standard.
Compare Robin Hood and a target for arrow-shooting practice: Robin shuts his
eyes and says 'I am not aiming to hit the target' and shoots but hits the
target. Has he failed by hitting the target? Or does not aiming to hit the
target mean simply that whether he hits the target or not is irrelevant to
whether he has failed or succeeded in his aim, as his is not an aim  at all but
a lack of aim? If only Robin Hood had been about in Greek times, they would
have discussed this and we would be on our
 way to an answer.

snip

> --- Grice's point is subtle. "He reasoned" means "He
> reasoned well". Surely
>  we wouldn't call a fallacy a piece of reasoning. Reasoning
> means good
> reasoning.  "The the king king went the went king to
> his castle" is not a
> sentence. "The  king went to his castle" is. A
> sentence is a good sentence.
> Something which is  not a good sentence is NOT a
> sentence.

Too subtle. "He reasoned" does not necessarily mean "He reasoned well". The
example of a "sentence" is different as a well-formed formula will necessarily
be well-formed.

Donal
London