[lit-ideas] Re: The Surgical Strike Option

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 11:47:10 -0500

This translates to God have mercy on us (God (Gospdi is repeated twice).
It's usually sung by the choir (Russian Orthodox Churches all have choirs,
the ones in my experience anyway).  It's been so long since I've been in a
Russian church that I don't remember if the congregation repeats it.  I
don't think they do, not formally anyway.  It's interesting that both
English and Russian use the word God, in English it's Lord, to also refer
to royalty, like Lord Pembroke, or may the Lord have mercy on your soul.
In Russian gospodin roughly translates to "sir".  I wonder if that says
anything about religion vis-a-vis human need for hierarchy, royalty.  The
divine right of kings.