[lit-ideas] Re: The Strident Voice of Defeat

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 13:58:14 -0600

LH:
Then there is the equivalent of "you can't know anything about being Black unless you are Black."<<

Well, yes, I think that's very true. I assert that you have no concept of what it means to be a Black person in America. You can imagine some difficulties, I'm sure, but KNOW? No way, Jose. Nor can you know what it is to be Hispanic, especially not an illegal. Again you can imagine what it must be like, but the only poor sod of whom you can possibly have any knowledge of what it's like to be like is Lawrence Helm. You and only you can know that. And the further you get away from Lawrence Helm the less able you are to imagine being another. So sayeth I.

>>I think that's pretty much run its course in Black movements<<

Oh, so you're an expert on "Black Movements" now?

But perhaps Mike is trying to adapt that to the current situation. That will be difficult because Qutbist Islamism doesn't want to be accepted. It doesn't want rights as Blacks did in the U.S. It wants to conquer and it fully expects to. It is a warrior code and to oppose it doesn't comprise "bigotry" in any usual sense of that word. One doesn't usually wonder if one is becoming a bigot if one is defending one's family or nation against an attacking enemy. And Qutbism believes in attacking enemies.<<

When I was a senior in high school, I had a very charismatic social science teacher. Mr. Lekowski. His classes were exciting. He was a rabid anti-Communist. Communists were everywhere. They were devouring democracy, nibbling away in their especially pernicious way at Capitalism and at the most sacred of America's holy doctrines Private Property. No one had any idea just how immanent and dangerous the threat was. He was a voracious reader of anti-Communist literature. Anything he disagreed with (like taxation, social security, labor unions, welfare, fluoridation of the water, racial integration, long hair) was a Communist conspiracy. He could quote chapter and verse from an impressive repertoire of sources to prove it all. Anyone who disagreed with him -- liberals mostly -- were ignorant or spiritually blind or nefarious fellow-travelers, pinkos if not fully red. Wake up, America! was his middle name. I loved his class if only because it wasn't boring. He was more a proselytizer than a teacher, but damn entertaining. I wish I'd had more like him. I didn't believe a word he said. I thought he was crazy, in fact, but damn entertaining. I came from Pinko stock those who still genuflected at the name of Franklin Delano Roosevelt. To his credit, Mr. Lekowski never tested us on his personal beliefs, but he sure liked you better if you were true blue. Can't blame him for that. What sticks in my mind most about experiencing Mr. Lekowski is my impression at the time that if it weren't for Communism, the man would have nothing to live for. He was Don Quixote constructing his own windmills. There's a lot of that in Lawrence I think. And like Mr. Lekowski, I get a kick out of him.

I hope you don't take that as patronizing, Lawrence.

Mike Geary
Memphis