[lit-ideas] Re: The Strident Voice of Defeat

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 22:35:14 EST

My mistake.  I apparently misunderstood you, Lawrence, to suggest that  the
war in Iraq was inextricably linked to the War on Terror and a prevention of
another 9/11 episode.  Once more (in this revolving door of opinions and
statements), if the U.S. declared war in Iraq because Hussein was a horrible
tyrannical dictator, there are bigger fish in the sea.  You just can't have  it
both ways.  The war in Iraq is because either Hussein was critical to  the War
on
Terror or because he was a profoundly bad guy.  Or...the war in  Iraq is
because Hussein was critical to the War on Terror (i.e. contributed to  9/11,
allied with Bin Ladin in theory/ideology if not in practice), and was a
profoundly bad guy.

I'm not one to hold Aristotelian rules as unbreakable, but you, sir, are I
think.

Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: The Strident
Voice of Defeat  Date: 1/12/2007 9:45:34 A.M. Central Standard Time  From:
_lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   Sent on:

Julie, in order to make  your statement true, you have to assume Ursula
intended an argument something  along the lines of the following:
Saddam should have been  deposed if and only if he was an Islamic Militant
Saddam was not an  Islamic Militant
Therefore Saddam should  not be deposed.
Lawrence