[lit-ideas] The Saddam Tapes (continued)

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2006 07:57:24 -0700

The following is from
http://www.americanthinker.com/comments.php?comments_id=4662 dated April 2,
2006.  One of the things this and other tapes make clear is that there was
no way the Bush administration was going to get the cooperation of certain
nations in removing Saddam.  Russia, Germany and France were too closely
associated with Saddam to support the U.S. in that enterprise.

And of course, there is a bit more here about Saddam and his WMDs.  I don't
see why there should be much surprise over this matter.  Saddam's history of
seeking and using WMDs is well known.  We also know that he didn't respect
the sanctions and was getting around them with the help of a number of
nations.  It should be no surprise, therefore, that these tapes show Saddam
being consistent with his history and ambitions.

Lawrence

The Saddam tapes (continued)

On Friday the Foreign Military Studies Office released several new
translations of audio and video tapes. These tapes contain Saddam and his
ministers in secret talks. I recognized several of these tapes as the ones
released by Bill Tierney at the recent Intelligence Summit.

These tapes were translated and reported on by ABC News and several
government intelligence analysts reviewed them. The consensus was that the
tapes had no value and revealed nothing new. I disputed that in The American
Thinker because I had worked with these tapes while with the Iraq Survey
Group.

After the ABC News report Bill Tierney disputed their interpretations and
claimed the translations that he made revealed a discussion about plasma
technology used for military applications. The safe assumption is that a
secret military plasma program would be for nuclear weapons development.

What was needed was a third translation to verify if Bill Tierney was
correct or if ABC News was correct. We got that on Friday.

My conclusion is that Bill Tierney was correct. The tapes reveal military
scientists discussing the academic and industrial use of plasma. Right when
the scientist discusses the transfer of the technology to another program,
the microphone is cut off. There is only one reason for this and it is
obvious. This program was so secret they didn't want it on their own tapes.

Other startling revelations are in the new translations:

Saddam admits to using chemical weapons on Iran. This is new evidence that
could even affect his trial. Of course, we knew this, but Saddam apologists
deny it.

Saddam admits that because they used those weapons and denied the use, it
was impossible to account for the missing weapons under U.N. inspections.
This is clear evidence that Saddam did not come clean and that is why the
U.S. could not accept the accounting for the weapons that Saddam made.
Saddam brought the weight of the U.S. actions on himself by denying his
attacks and covering that up.

The tapes prove that the Russians were paid off to assist the Iraqis to
convince the U.N. to lift the sanctions.

A revelation that in 2001-2002, Saddam and his ministers where concerned
about what three German scientists arrested in Germany would reveal about
Iraq's nuclear program. This is more evidence that Iraq did not come clean
about their nuclear activities and had something to hide just prior to the
invasion.

See my  <http://rayrobison.typepad.com/ray_robison/> website for the
details.

Ray Robison   3 18 06