[lit-ideas] Re: The Problem of Evil

  • From: Eric <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 12:59:02 -0500

Peter: But surely the "just a dream" conclusion of the Buddhist
narrative is a consequence, not of the absense of God,
but rather of the absence of any independent or permanent
self.

In the Taoist narrative Zhuang Zhou dreamed that he was a
butterfly dreaming that he was Zhuang Zhou. What on earth
does that have to do with the existence, vel non, of God?

________

The "problem of evil" relates to the paradox of an omniscient and morally perfect being who would NOT prevent the existence of conditions that are intrinsically bad or undesirable, i.e., evil.

The narrative turn of Buddhism is to say that God is not real, existence is not real, and pain by extension is not real. The entire paradox of "the problem of evil" in Buddhist terms takes place in Samsara. To my underinformed understanding, that's like saying it only appears to be a problem because it is taking place in a fantasy that one can awaken from.

Christian and Hebrew narrative strategies seem to imply that we don't have sufficient knowledge (enough evidence about the world) to assert that the existence of God is incompatible with evil because we don't have the long view in which everything works out.
So their claims seems to be positing that "the problem of evil" is an abstract argument that is clashing with an empirical one, an empirical argument lacking sufficient evidence.