[lit-ideas] Re: The Problem of Evil

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 20:05:30 -0500

I have a vague memory that they find God guilty. At any rate, prayer is for the pray-er, not for God.
U.

JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx wrote:

Okay, I'm going to have trouble here trying to refer to what I want to because my memory seems to have gone into a black hole somewhere. There's a book written (I THINK) by Elie Weisel, the title of which I have no clue at the moment. The essence of the book is that a group of Rabbis hold a court of sorts; they put God on trial, after the Holocaust. They level charge after charge against Him for his recklessness with human lives, etc. When the trial is over they put on their prayer shawls and pray. If someone recognizes this elusive tale I'd love to know it so I can read it again. But the point is, that after putting God on trial, the next response is simply to worship Him. I'm not sure what that means in a western Aristotelian philosophy, but it means something outside of that confine.
Julie Krueger