[lit-ideas] Re: The Problem of Evil

  • From: "Peter D. Junger" <junger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 12:05:03 -0500

Donal McEvoy writes:

:
: Again without anything like full knowledge..
:
: > More than fifty years ago I found myself worrying about this in
: > a course in Medievial Intellectual History.  I wrote something
: > like "God can't or won't do evil" and the grader crossed out
: > the verbs and wrote, as I recall, "doesn't."
:
: This seems to me possibly one or all of the following:-
: 1) Someone imposing their values by way of teaching.
: 2) Someone imposing their values by way of not engaging the actual problem
: (in general terms, ' If God Has All-Power, Has He Power To Make Himself Not
: All-Powerful Or Not'? - the answer seems paradoxical whichever) - there is no
: answer to Peter's reply.
: 3) Peter's pedantic memory for when a grader had his work "crossed out".
: Ahh..

I wrote it as part of an answer to a question on an exam; a question
about the position of some medieval intellectual history.  The
grader---a graduate student---made helpful comments on my answer
and did not just assign a grade.  The crossing out and replacement
was part of those helpful comments.  My answer had indicated that
I was not sure what the correct term to describe the medieval
scholar's position; the grader helpfully supplied the correct term

The grader most certainly was not describing his own position.

I do not know who the grader was and he did not know whose exam he
was grading, but I did know at least one of the graders in the course,
who was a brilliant scholar as well as a very nice person.

--
Peter D. Junger--Case Western Reserve University Law School--Cleveland, OH
 EMAIL: junger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx    URL:  http://samsara.law.cwru.edu