[lit-ideas] Re: The Problem of Evil

  • From: "Peter D. Junger" <junger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 10:49:33 -0500

JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx writes:

: Does it seem possible to anyone in this conversation that what humans
: perceive of as pain or evil may not be?  That our humanly flawed and  limited
:
: perception may assign an attribute which is not Real?  Think Plato  and the C
: ave,
: and Pauline through a glass darkly.

The Buddhist position, as I understand it, is that ultimately there is
nothing that has an existence independent with everything else to which
"evil," or any other attribute, can be assigned.

Buddhists do, however, sometimes speak of intentional actions, aka
karma, as evil in the cases where they increase suffering.

--
Peter D. Junger--Case Western Reserve University Law School--Cleveland, OH
 EMAIL: junger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx    URL:  http://samsara.law.cwru.edu