[lit-ideas] Re: The Problem of Evil

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 11:26:41 +0000 (GMT)

Again without anything like full knowledge..

> More than fifty years ago I found myself worrying about this in
> a course in Medievial Intellectual History.  I wrote something
> like "God can't or won't do evil" and the grader crossed out
> the verbs and wrote, as I recall, "doesn't."

This seems to me possibly one or all of the following:-
1) Someone imposing their values by way of teaching.
2) Someone imposing their values by way of not engaging the actual problem
(in general terms, ' If God Has All-Power, Has He Power To Make Himself Not
All-Powerful Or Not'? - the answer seems paradoxical whichever) - there is no
answer to Peter's reply.
3) Peter's pedantic memory for when a grader had his work "crossed out".
Ahh..

Donal
Geeting "Medievial" on the Intetwellectuel Asss

http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com