[lit-ideas] Re: The Problem of Evil

I've been told, and not that I really know anything
about this, that the Catholic position on original sin
and existence of evil is from Augustine. Augustine,
and not that I know that much about his philosophy
either, held that God exists outside time, or perhaps
better that God sees the creation as a whole from
beginning to eternity.

That is time itself is part of creation, and because
God is omnipotent, he therefore is not bound by time.
While everything that happens to us is predestined,
the whole notion of predestination presumes time, that
is a sequence of events. We are doomed by our
imperfection to see as a continuity what is a whole. I
think may be wrong about this, but isn't the original
sin for Augustine man choosing to step into temporal
existence with all the misery it contains?

I always thought that the idea of God outside time was
extremely clever. Ad hoc and unhelpful, but still.

Cheers,
Teemu
Helsinki, Finland

http://mail.yahoo.com