[lit-ideas] Re: The Problem of Evil

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 02:24:24 EST

It's 1:30 and I'm way too tired to read this thread carefully...I've only
skimmed the fairly complex posts....but you guys are teetering dangerously on
the edge of the question of original sin.  Christianity teaches it, Judaism
refutes it.  I don't know about other systems of theology -- like Buddhism  --
would be interested in the Buddhist take on it.  I also don't know if  there
is a difference between the Catholic and Protestant notions of original  sin.
 From a Christian perspective, C. S. Lewis does a fair job of  addressing the
issue of evil in "Problem of Pain", and it's philosophically  sound if you're
working within the Christian framework.

But I persist in my original thought which is that what we experience as
pain or evil may not ultimately or "Really" be that ....  it may be what  our
material being feels that it is.... but who's to say that what our
physical/material/limited/flawed being experiences is the Reality or the  Truth?

Julie Krueger
unable to express herself well at 1:30 w/ a thunderstorm (thank God!   a
break from ice!) in the background.