[lit-ideas] Re: The Problem of Evil

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 13:22:59 -0800

Eric,

You have assumed that God is omnipotent, omniscient, and purely good, but
why not also assume two other attributes: Creator (of all things) and Love.
If we add these latter two attributes then we are entitled to assume that He
wants something from humans, for he created them.  We may also assume that
his reason for creating humans is loving, consistent with his nature.

We can assume (as Leibniz does in his Theodicy, if memory serves me) that
God has chosen to create humans that will love him of their own free will.
In order for humans to be able to make that choice, they must be able to
choose evil.  If there is no evil there can be no such choice.

The way you have it, God being purely good could not create humans because
humans can choose evil.  But there is no evidence in history that God avoids
the use of evil if evil is defined as bad things happening: people and
animals suffer injury, illness, disaster, and death.  Surely these events
are evil and yet they are a part of creation

If evil is not simply something bad that happens but something that is
chosen, then only humans can choose or do evil.  Why would there be such a
species as ours?  One can provide a naturalistic anthropological explanation
that supports the idea that choosing goodness enhances survival in some way.
But one can also support the idea that God wants us to choose him of our own
free will and not choose evil.  Good and evil must both exist for that to be
the case.

Lawrence