[lit-ideas] Re: The Problem of Evil

  • From: Robert Paul <robert.paul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 17:01:31 -0800

Julie wrote:

Does it seem possible to anyone in this conversation that what humans perceive of as pain or evil may not be? That our humanly flawed and limited perception may assign an attribute which is not Real? Think Plato and the Cave, and Pauline through a glass darkly.

No it doesn't. I can't imagine what it would mean to say that human beings don't ('really') know what pain is. (I have no opinion on evil, which is a theological, not a natural concept.) The allegory of the cave is supposed to show that ordinary people don't know what is really responsible for the phenomena they experience. They don't know that behind them is a fire and that between them and the fire there are shapes and puppets manipulated by some metaphysical puppeteer. They take the shadows to be real. However, as they operate perfectly well in the ordinary world (which Plato dismisses as the world of appearances) it's hard to see what someone who says 'Wounds or painful,' or 'St. Griddlefred died in pain,' hasn't understood. Plato's conclusion ('That's not a table, it's the shadow of a table') already seems just plain wrong, for apparently the shadow of a table has a shadow, whereas the form, Table, hasn't. Well, I digress.

You can believe pain is unreal if you like, but we give analgesics to people in pain, whether or not they know in some obscure sense, what pain is, metaphysically speaking.

Aristotle derides Plato somewhere for thinking that there were forms of everything (mud, hair, filth), and I wonder what features the form, Pain, has that the tortured victim is unaware of.

Here's a somewhat linguistically oriented account of the allegory of the cave, from Marc Cohen, at the University of Washington.

http://faculty.washington.edu/smcohen/320/cave.htm

Robert Paul