[lit-ideas] Re: The Order of Aurality (ratification of fiction?)

  • From: Torgeir Fjeld <torgeir_fjeld@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2012 21:58:41 +0000 (GMT)

R Paul wrote:
(I don't know how 'the ratification of fiction,' words I was using for another
purpose, got in the subject line of this note.)

Let me attempt to answer that one. It may have been to echo J Lacan essay "The
Mirror Stage". Here's from a popularisation:

"the child assumes –by identifying with –the image [its own image in a mirror]
of a unitary or whole being, and in so doing comes to know himself as an I or
individual. “This (I) form,” writes Lacan, situates the agency known as the
ego, prior to its social determination, in a fictional direction..."
(http://www.columbia.edu/~sf2220/Thing/web-content/Pages/manas2.html)

This stuff (the fictions of the I) goes on as the child enters the Symbolic
Order -- language -- and prior to the final acquisition of "an alienating
armor" of identity. The interesting stuff -- though -- is the determinations of
the ego /beyond/ what Lacan calls the "specular I". It is here that we join a
social I -- the subject of mediatised desire. Else the ego may defend itself
against such an I, in which case it envelops in a state of "paranoid
alienation."

To Lacan, paranoia is an effect of an unwillingness to accept the social
character of signification.

Best wishes,
Torgeir Fjeld
Oslo, Norway