[lit-ideas] Re: The Order of Aurality (ratification of fiction?)

  • From: "Adriano Palma" <Palma@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2012 13:14:57 +0200

** Low Priority **
** Reply Requested by 3/17/2012 (Saturday) **

yes 1 photon's enough - it remains unclear whether colors are
photons....

נצח ישראל לא ישקר

/begin/read__>sig.file: postal address
palma
University of KwaZulu-Natal Philosophy
3rd floor of Memorial Tower Building
Howard College Campus
Durban 4041
South Africa
Tel off: [+27] 031 2601591 (sec: Mrs. Yolanda Hordyk) [+27]
031-2602292
Fax [+27] 031-2603031
mobile 07 62 36 23 91 calling from overseas +[27] 76 2362391
EMAIL: palma@xxxxxxxx
EMAIL: palma@xxxxxxxxxx
MY OFFICE # IS 290@Mtb
*only when in Europe*: inst. J. Nicod
29 rue d'Ulm
f-75005 paris france
email me for details if needed at palma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
________
This e-mail message (and attachments) is confidential, and/or
privileged and is intended for the
use of the addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient of
this e-mail you must not copy,
distribute, take any action in reliance on it or disclose it to anyone.
Any confidentiality or
privilege is not waived or lost by reason of mistaken delivery to you.
This entity is not responsible for any information not related to the
business of this entity. If you
received this e-mail in error please destroy the original and notify
the sender.

>>> Thomas Hart <tehart@xxxxxxx> 3/16/2012 11:33 PM >>>
Color blindness is diagnosed through a test devised by Japanese
scientists sometime prior to 1964. The test consists of looking at cards
with a series of dots in various colors. The dots form numbers and
against a differently colored pattern of dots that forms the background.
If you are color blind, you cannot see the dots. If you can see the
dots, you're not.

In the retina of the eye are cells that are referred to as rods and
cones. One set of cells sees white and black, and works at night as well
as day. The other set is responsible for color vision, and if I recall
correctly is made up of cells with red, green, and blue sensitivity,
much like old CRT displays. If the cells that are sensitive to one of
the colors are missing or deficient, color-blindness results.

Unless I'm mistaken the eye can detect as little as one photon of
light.

At least these are my recollections from my psych class back in 1964.

"One god I can understand, but one wife? It is not generous.... It is
not civilized." Sheik Ilderim, Ben-Hur, 1959

Thomas Hart
tehart@xxxxxxx

On Mar 16, 2012, at 5:04 PM, Julie Krueger wrote:

That very (red/green) thing is why I've never understood what exactly
color-blindness is and how it's identified/diagnosed.

Julie Krueger

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 3:13 PM, Walter C. Okshevsky <wokshevs@xxxxxx>
wrote:

Yes, specifying the colours serves to focus the question more clearly.
But my
epistemological conundrum remains.

Imagine: What everybody calls and sees as "red," Walter sees as "green"
but
calls it "red" because everybody else does. And what everybody calls
and sees
"green" Walter sees and calls "red" because everybody else does. (Go
figure,
Robert Brandom.) In this scenario, which is logically and empirically
possible,
there does not seem to be a way of detecting this visual and
linguistic
discrepancy. But it remains an actual possibility. Perhaps something
like
Quine's "gavagai" example?

Hoping that Dan soon learns you your coulours, Walter

P.S. Re Palin/Obama: She's probably thinking she can get Obama to roll
his eyes
upwards a sufficient number of times during the debate to win it. If it
worked
for Al Gore vs George W, why not for her?

<wokshevs@xxxxxx>wrote:

> > My wife insists that what I call "pale blue" is actually "grey."
And she's

http://www.mun.ca/cc/policies/electronic_communications_disclaimer_2011.php

Please find our Email Disclaimer here: http://www.ukzn.ac.za/disclaimer/