[lit-ideas] Re: The Order of Aurality

  • From: Mike Geary <jejunejesuit.geary2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2012 15:47:25 -0600

I've reported this before, but I still stand in confusion before it.  One
of my nieces caught memingitis before she was six months old.  That was
about 30 years ago now. She survived,but profoundly deaf.  About ten years
ago or so I asked her if in her dreams hearing-people used sign language.
"No," she said, "in my dreams, I can hear.  Even deaf friends hear and
speak."  I was nonplussed.  How can that be?  WHAT DID SHE HEAR?  AND HOW
COULD SHE KNOW SHE WAS HEARING?  I know that bilingual people do not need
to translate into their native language to know what is being communicated,
and true bilinguals can catch the cultural conontations of expressions.
But they are dealing with words -- this word for that word.  My niece has
no experiential concept of words.  When I listen to Spanish speakers, all I
hear is one endless word composed of two thousand  vowels.  But I know that
if I would put some effort into the listening, I'd learn how to listen.
But my niece has no experience of language -- none whatsoever!   And yet
she understands language.  Not only understands it -- but creates it --
creates an oral language.  How I wish I could hear it.

So how does any of this fit into this discussion?  I don't know.  Maybe not
at all.  Or maybe language is inherent in higher species and that we create
language because we have to, genetically.  God and philosopy and music and
poetry be damned. Or maybe language is just the excresence of our
ignorance.