[lit-ideas] Re: The Order of Aurality

  • From: "Eric Yost" <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2012 04:35:10 -0500

>> I do think Derrida is worth reading for philosophical insight, but it
requires patience in sifting out what is worthwhile. (Does one sift out
what is worthwhile or what is worthless?)

Once had to edit a monograph by a student of Derrida and that induced me
to read some of D's work. I fully accept social construction of meaning
a 'la Wittgenstein's "shared way of life," but to be told my search for
the beetle in the boxes of people who share my "way of life" is a
dangerous illusion we should cure by playing the deconstruction game ...
just cannot file that under worthwhile.

Too much worthless content makes one cease to sift, in my opinion. But I
may be wrong.