[lit-ideas] Re: The One Drop Rule Lives

On May 3, 2012, at 6:35 PM, Thomas Hart wrote:

> The old principle that one drop of colored blood determines one's ethnicity
> seems to be alive and well. a candidate for Ted Kennedy's old Senate seat
> apparently got AA benefits because her great-great-great-grandmother was
> Cherokee. That's 3.125%, and it was sufficient for her to call herself a
> Cherokee.
>
> Given our origins in Africa, birth in the US, and immigration from various
> parts of Europe, and sundry other places, I've always felt it only
> appropriate to label myself as Afro-Slovenian-German-Irish-Native-American.
> You could also say "Other" on the form, and comment "None of your damned
> business."

Imagine what DNA testing is going to do to our categories.  Last week's news on
the BBC was that farmers from the Mediterranean arrived in Norway at some early
point, to live alongside local hunter-gatherers.  Thus my red-haired Norwegian
student Leah Rebecca might want at some stage to think of herself as Italian or
Hispanic or, as you suggest, African.

David Ritchie,
probably not from the Chinese Celts