[lit-ideas] Re: The Monty Python Philosophers Song

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 10:13:51 -0800

On Nov 11, 2009, at 3:54 PM, Robert Paul wrote:

Which movie had the philosophers playing football?

It was from Monty Python's Flying Circus which, I'm pretty sure, was a TV series and not a movie.

Could be, but I saw it in a theater. Likely MPFC was both.

There was also a foray into German television, which featured the philosophers' soccer sketch. You can find it on DVD.

I keep looking at the job announcements in History, expecting to find a position at say the John Reed Revolutionary Studies and Culinary Institute looking for expertise in Cultural History, eccentric Scottish Explorers of the American West, sheep. Also some fluency in the history of British comedy. I recently saw John Cleese on his "Pay for the Third Divorce" tour, who told a version of the story of his life, showed film clips, took questions. There were some refreshing things in his performance. He asked that there be no "California Questions," which he defined as a question which begins with a long list of things that the questioner admires about the person being asked. "I *know* I'm amazing," he said. "Sometimes I look at myself in the shaving mirror and practically faint. So I don't need to be told."

He had a new way of describing how boring his childhood home, Weston- Super-Mare, seemed. "When the Germans dropped a bomb on the place, we knew there was something very wrong with their strategy because there was nothing in Weston-Super-Mare that was in any way close to the value of the bomb."

Perhaps his best line came when he explained how much he was annoyed by his mother, who lived to be 101 in spite of a two-page long list of phobias. He would call her once a week, dutifully, and listen, dutifully, to how she was "feeling a bit low." One time he had an inspiration. When she said, "You'll miss me when I'm gone," he responded, "No I won't."
"Why?"
"Well mother, it's because I'm going to have you stuffed. I'll put you in a glass case by the front door and I'll say things to you as I go in and out of the house." There was a pause and then she began to cackle. Apparently she shared his black sense of humor. Told everyone in the home that her son was going to have her stuffed.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon