[lit-ideas] Re: The Monster is dead

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 00:25:44 -0600

"The Monster is dead", Brian writes.  But which one?  Here's a list of monsters
that the US has supported over the past 70 or so years:

General Sani Abacha, Nigeria
Idi Amin, Uganda
Colonel Hugo Banzer, Bolivia
Fulgencio Batista, Cuba
Sir Hassanal Bolkiah, Brunei
P.W. Botha, South Africa
General Humberto Branco, Brazil
Raoul Cedras, Haiti
Vinicio Cerezo, Guatamala
Chiang Kai-Shek, Taiwan
Roberto Suazo Cordova, Honduras
Alfredo Christiani, El Salvador
Ngo Dihn Diem, Vietnam
General Samuel Doe, Liberia
Francois Duvalier, Haiti
Jean Claude Duvalier, Haiti
King Fahd bin' Abdul-Aziz, Saudi Arabia
General Francisco Franco, Spain
Adolf Hitler, Germany
Hassan II, Morocco
Saddam Hussein, Iraq
Ferdinand Marcos, Philippines
General Maximiliano Hernandez Martinez, El Salvador
Mobutu Sese Seko , Zaire
General Efrain Rios Montt, Guatemala
General Manuel Noriega, Panama
Turgut Ozal, Turkey
Shah Mohammed Reza Pahlevi, Iran
George Papadopoulos, Greece
Park Chung Hell, South Korea
General Augusto Pinochet, Chile
Pol Pot, Cambodia
General Sitiveni Rabuka, Figi
Halie Salassie, Ethiopia
Antonio de Oliveira Salazar, Portugal
Anastasio Somoza, Sr., Nicaraugua
Anastasio Somoza, Jr., Nicaraugua
Ian Smith, Rhodesia
Alfredo Stroessner, Paraguay
General Suharto, Indonesia
Rafael Leonidas Trujillo, Domincan Republic
General Jorge Rafael Videla, Argentina
Mohammed Zia Ul-Haq, Pakistan

Just in case any of you are not familiar with any of these epitomes of
democracy, you can check out our government's relationship to them at
http://www.omnicenter.org/warpeacecollection/dictators.htm#hitler

My point is that Saddam was no worse than most of the "monsters" we've
installed or used to promote our agenda in the world.  Should we do such
things?  We're going to.  All powers do.  Knowing that, I'm not sure why I find
it so reprehensible that we would execute those people who did our bidding as
soon as we no longer need them.  But I do.  I believe capital punishment itself
is an egregious barbarism, but one that I'm resigned to in this barbarous US
culture, so why do I react with such anger at the extermination of a man who
was such a despicable criminal and who should never be allowed to see the light
of day again?  I know why.  I just don't want to say it out loud.  Dark hawks
hear us.

Mike Geary
Memphis