[lit-ideas] Re: The Cosmic Blues?

  • From: Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 09:44:02 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

-----Original Message-----
From: Judy Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Jun 16, 2004 9:18 AM
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: The Cosmic Blues?

Wednesday, June 16, 2004, 1:18:33 PM, Andy Amago wrote:

AA>It's Harper's page, but not that quote.

The consecutive sentences are on that page

A.A.  I did not find it, sorry.  Even if they are, what's at issue?  That Ray
Charles didn't write like Mozart?  Or that Mozart didn't write like Bach?  Or
that Bach didn't write like the English songs of the 15th and 16th centuries?
When Stravinsky's music first aired people nearly rioted.  When jazz first came
out it was considered radical.  Now it's refined to like jazz.  How do we know
what kind of music God likes?  Maybe he likes Bob Dylan.  Or may be really does
like Gregorian chants and we should dig them up.  Or perhaps he like
percussion, so he favors African music.  Who's to say he does or he doesn't?  I
remember speaking with someone who compared jazz improvisions to Bach; he
thought stylistically they were the same.  A nice white boy musician too.  We
would each of us resent being told what we like, yet we know what God likes and
we insist on it.

Andy Amago

--  Best regards,  Judy
mailto:judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx