[lit-ideas] Re: The Code Breaker

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 09:32:00 EDT

In a message dated 9/29/2004 9:08:21 AM Eastern Standard Time,
teme17@xxxxxxxxx writes:
He
> wasn't only a code-breaker, JL!  But he did  crack
> the Enigma Code,
> yes.

----

I was wondering if The Enigma compared to Geary's message to Erin:

--- begin quoted text:

dk dkhhbn 4 55^%K -- KM -- dedkh,  liisnncty'h. 7389h!!   Xnmntebid;
m7739823,  ##98dl; lqqq.Und2?  : )

377,  7238946=>nndq aoein b  shlllms, tw,   pqhhs.

*/\/\/\/MW\/\/\/\*
Mempis

--- end quoted text

-- which Julie said called for a serious deconstructionist.

It seems to me, and Turing knew that, that the first step is to replace any
letter _by another_:

dk dkhhbn 4 55^%K -- KM -- dedkh,  liisnncty'h. 7389h!!   Xnmntebid;
m7739823,  ##98dl; lqqq.Und2?  : )
377,  7238946=>nndq aoein b  shlllms, tw,   pqhhs.
*/\/\/\/MW\/\/\/\*
Mempis

----

Rule 2 is to replace the _same_ letter by the same other (every 'd' for a
'p') say. But there is an exception to this. Perhaps on some collocations, the
'd' becomes a 'g', for example.

All in all, the art of code-breaking (and the enigma) is a fascinating one,
and I wonder where Turing learned to much about it (somewhere in the Home
Counties, I understand).

Hodges's book was turned into a play with Derek Jacobi playing Turing.

Cheers,

JL