[lit-ideas] Re: The American Poor

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 14:58:27 -0700

It doesn't sound as though you read the article that you seem to be
responding to because it seems to contradict some of your speculations:
<http://www.heritage.org/Research/Welfare/bg1713.cfm>
http://www.heritage.org/Research/Welfare/bg1713.cfm

In regard to housing, you left out the fact that 46% of those below the
poverty line in the U.S. own their own homes   The significance of the
statistics in the article I posted is that the absolute wealth of the bulk
of those below the American poverty line is above the average income of most
of our parents and above the average GDP per capita of, I suspect, of most
of the world's nations.  Our poverty line is $8,900 per person.  The average
GDP per person in Brazil, for example, is $8,400.  See
http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/rankorder/2004rank.html

As to the cost of housing, you have provided some anecdotal evidence about
who can afford housing and who cannot at the present time.  Forgetting for
the time being that 46% of those below the American poverty line already own
their own homes, I can't tell whether it is more or less difficulty to own a
home in the U.S. today.  My anecdotal evidence doesn't support yours.  I
bought my first home in about 1961 for about $17,800 and it was spooky
taking on that huge obligation. Things were tight.  We had to stick to a
budget.  In about 1973 I sold my first home and bought a more expensive home
for $50,000.  Things were touch and go for a long time after that.  Time
passed.  I got divorced lived in a studio apartment for awhile, remarried
and in 1983 managed to buy a condo for $125,000.  I retired in 1998, sold my
1630 sq ft condo for $165,000 and bought a 2200 sq foot home in San Jacinto
for $145,000.  It is worth more now than when we bought it, perhaps around
$375,000 would be my guess, but that is the nature of property values. They
go up.

You might argue that the increase in the value of my house supports your
argument, but I bought the largest model available at the time. Smaller
houses sell for much less.  The house I bought in 1961 was tiny - clearly in
the category of what they call a "starter."  A starter today would be more
expensive but far less than $375,000 in San Jacinto or in any of the
neighboring towns.  One of your anecdotes pertains to a location where
housing is unusually expensive.  I'd like to hear from John McCreery what
housing in Japan costs.

Another anecdote:  I recall engineers that had skipped around from company
to company and as a consequence would receive upon retirement a smaller
income from their several pensions than if they had stayed at one company.
The standard joke was for such an engineer to say that he was going to
retire as soon as his Social Security kicked in even if he had to live in a
trailer park in Bullhead City.  It is a lot more expensive to live in
Bullhead City than when engineers used to say that, but there are cheaper
places to live than single-family dwellings.  I know people who upon
retirement sold their homes and moved into very nice trailer parks and claim
to be deliriously happy.

One more anecdote:  Housing is cheaper in my valley than in Orange County to
the North or San Diego County to the South where the better paying jobs; so
lots of people are opting to drive long distances to work.

Lawrence

  _____