[lit-ideas] The Air-Conditioned Tautology

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 20:24:57 EDT

J. M. Geary wrote:

>>Can anyone tell me which refrigerant goes in a freezer?
R. Paul replies:

Bipeds  have two legs.
Either bipeds have two legs or they don't.
If p, then q;  p, therefore q.
Deciduous trees lose their leaves seasonally.
If Alice  is taller than Jane, and Jane is taller than Tom, Alice is taller
than
Tom.
2 + 2 = 4.

Mmm.

>Bipeds have two legs.

Except when they lose one in an accident --. E.g. Cole Porter.

>Either bipeds have two legs or they don't.

In a world that accepts Aristotle's Law of the Excluded Third -- not in
India, for example. (cf. Kamasutra).

>If p, then q; p, therefore q.

Assuming the truth-tables for 'if p, q' and 'if p, then q' are _equivalent_
(Grice thinks they are not).

>Deciduous trees lose their leaves seasonally.

Geoffrey Sampson once conducted a test -- in Lancaster, UK -- which showed
that things like that are actually _synthetic_ -- i.e. informational. His
example:

          Fall [Autumn]  follows Summer.

>If Alice is taller than Jane, and Jane is taller than Tom, Alice is  taller
than Tom.

Assuming co-reference of the first and the second Jane,  the first and second
Alice, and the first and second Tom -- and that there is no  ambiguity (or
equivocation) in the use of 'tall' from one premise to the other  (cf. 'a tall
order').

>2 + 2 = 4.

This was notably synthetic a priori, and hardly  tautologous to Kant -- but
then maths was never his forte.

Cheers,

JL