[lit-ideas] Re: Tharoor, and what sort of symbol is Cordoba?

  • From: Mike Geary <jejunejesuit.geary2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2010 12:28:45 -0500

*"Observation by Lawrence: *We see from the above that this golden period of
Cordoba described in the "time" article was relatively brief. The Caliphate
began in 929 as a sort of parenthesis, as though the Islamic conquerors
forgot why they were there. But by 997 general Al-Mansur got them back on
track. So at the very most, this period lauded by Tharoor lasted 68 years --
after which Muslims resumed to slaughtering Spanish Christians. Islamists
looking back on this period are ambivalent about it."

Reminds me of a Doonesbury strip.  An American soldier is driving a jeep
down a road in Iraq with an Iraqi soldier.  The Iraqi suddenly shouts:
"Stop!  Stop!"
"What?  What?  Why"  the startled GI cries searching out danger.
"That's Hassan Mohammed Karami,  I must kill him."
"Why?"
"Because his family killied one of my family."
"When?"
"In 1342.  Stop.  Pull over."
"1342?!  Dear god, what is it with you people?"

Lawrence  carries a grudge even if no one in his family is involved.  What's
with the man?

Mike Geary
Memphis