[lit-ideas] Re: Text of bin Laden Tape

Ah, Mike, I was going to let your note go unanswered (because it is late and
I?m trying to turn my computer off) until you accused me of having a naïve
view of the character of this country.  You say this after pretty much
siding with our enemies.  So I take it you would not think it naïve to
support the Islamists or at least tolerate them until they actually threaten
you directly.  The opposite of your view, I understand you to be implying,
is naïve.  Ah, well, okay.  I can live with being naïve.

You also address some of the real issues in your note.  You describe how
hard it is to fight the Islamists who don?t comprise individual nations, but
this is one of the many reasons for our liberating Iraq.  Democracy is
contagious (see Natan Sharansky?s The Case for Democracy, the Power of
Freedom to overcome Tyranny & Terror).  If we help develop a successful
democracy in Iraq then that will be a powerful counter to Islamism.  You are
right in the sense that we cannot rely solely upon the military in fighting
Islamism.  But you are wrong in thinking that our efforts in Iraq are not a
powerful counter to Islamism.

You say the Islamists as you understand them don?t want to rule us.  I have
read the writings of the ideologue Sayyid Qutb and also Ruhollah Khomeini
and Maududi.  They, especially Qutb, advocate the conquering world for
Islam.  They intend to conquer us.  This isn?t an immediate goal, but it is
a long range goal.  Near term they would like to restore the Ummah, the Arab
Middle East without borders under a single Imam.  After that they want back
all the lands conquered by Mohammad, and the Righteous Imams, especially
Andalusia.  After that they intend to apply pressure including military
pressure until the entire world bows its knee to Allah.

Lawrence