[lit-ideas] Re: Text of bin Laden Tape

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 20:59:56 -0800

Cheap shot, Irene.  I enlisted in the Marine Corps during the Korean War and
wasn't one of those casualties there either.  I don't need to be dead to be
able to study these matters and draw conclusions based on the evidence.
There is not "utter chaos" over there in Iraq.  Read the report of the
election.  Read of the number who came out to vote.  Read of the
construction and the increase in living standards.  Listen to the reports of
returning vets.  Read the reports on the internet of soldiers and workers
over there.  Where is this chaos?  It isn't among the Kurds in the North.
It isn't among the Shiites in the South.  There are Baathists who have
nothing to lose in the Sunni Triangle.  There are Islamists, most of whom
are Sunni coming into the Sunni triangle from other nations.  Who writes of
this Chaos?  Osama speaks of it and the anti-Americans claim it, but I don't
believe in it.  I've seen no evidence.

We didn't "open Pandora's Box."  We opposed the Islamists and continue to do
so in the Middle East.  Pandora was already after us in the form of the
Islamists but we tried to keep our hands over our eyes, many of us.  Shoot,
many of us still are.

Lawrence.

  _____