[lit-ideas] Tell that to the children

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 13:58:40 -0500

Ursula: Tell that to the children in (whatever the name of the county was) Pennsylvania.

Eric; My high school (one of twelve in the US) had the first pre-college nuclear physics course in the country. We read a college level text (Glasstone's Intro to Nuclear Physics), did hot chemistry experiments, visited nuclear reactors to compete against students from other schools. No religion in school, just the Pledge of Allegiance. Plus on Halloween, art students paint all the shop windows in town--ghosts and demons and pumpkins and witches. It's pretty and everyone loves it. There are lots and lots of churches, but no intrusion into people's personal beliefs. It's still that way.