[lit-ideas] Re: T'AINT FUNNY, MCGEE

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2006 00:45:06 EST

I understand and agree with much of your idea of good parenting.  Not  all,
but much.

Of course, there are people who might have a different set of  descriptors.

Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: T'AINT FUNNY,
MCGEE  Date: 12/8/2006 10:49:07 P.M. Central Standard Time  From:
_aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

It's not that complicated.  Two  parents of opposite sexes (kids need a mom
*and* a dad) who get along with each  other, who get their needs met by each
other, who don't ask the kid to be  confidant or friend or hero or mommy's
little brain surgeon or any other  thing.  Who give him/her space and
acceptance.
Things along  those lines.  When a kid is treated with respect, he learns
respect for  others because we give what we have.  Giving respect to others is
called  morality.  Sitting down and teaching morality doesn't work.  Modeling
is
the most powerful way to teach by far.  Sitting down and teaching,  unless
it's facts in a classroom, is called brainwashing.  It's crazy  making.  The
very fact that people can't agree on what parenting is shows  the extent to
which
humans are clueless.  Needing to protect children from  being tortured or
from witnessing torture or witnessing violence sh ows is as  basic as air yet
in
much of the world, including the U.S., it's not  available.  When parents yell
and scream, it traumatizes the kid.   Etc. etc.  Can mankind be as bad as all
that?  No, mankind is  wonderful.  We're the most civilized country in the
world and we fought to  have slavery, and 200 years later we started a
pointless
war.  No, mankind  is wonderful.