[lit-ideas] Re: T'AINT FUNNY, MCGEE

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2006 23:48:18 -0500

It's not that complicated.  Two parents of opposite sexes (kids need a mom
*and* a dad) who get along with each other, who get their needs met by each
other, who don't ask the kid to be confidant or friend or hero or mommy's
little brain surgeon or any other thing.  Who give him/her space and
acceptance.  Things along those lines.  When a kid is treated with respect, he
learns respect for others because we give what we have.  Giving respect to
others is called morality.  Sitting down and teaching morality doesn't work.
Modeling is the most powerful way to teach by far.  Sitting down and teaching,
unless it's facts in a classroom, is called brainwashing.  It's crazy making.
The very fact that people can't agree on what parenting is shows the extent to
which humans are clueless.  Needing to protect children from being tortured or
from witnessing torture or witnessing violence shows is as basic as air yet in
much of the world, including the U.S., it's not available.  When pare
 nts yell and scream, it traumatizes the kid.  Etc. etc.  Can mankind be as bad
as all that?  No, mankind is wonderful.  We're the most civilized country in
the world and we fought to have slavery, and 200 years later we started a
pointless war.  No, mankind is wonderful.