[lit-ideas] Re: "Sure" (Was: Jenny)

  • From: Robert.Paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Robert Paul)
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 04 Sep 2004 19:57:46 PDT

JL writes:

      A: Do you mind if I smoke?
      B: Sure.

In R. Paul's logic, "Sure", on B's part, amounts to "You _may_ smoke".  Not
in my idiolect.

Strictly, "Sure", in B's reply is _ambiguous_.

(i) it can be taken as a _propositional_ operator: "it is a safe thing to
say that I _do_ mind if you smoke." That's how I interpret it.

(ii) 'sure' can apply to _B's_ propositional attitudes (or beliefs),
amounting to: "I _am_ sure that I _do_ mind if you smoke".

(iii) Thirdly, sure can apply to _A's_ propositional attitudes: "Be  secure
that I do mind that you smoke".
--------------------------------------
I've never heard anyone reply 'Sure' in response to the question 'Do you mind if
I smoke?' but if I had I don't think I'd have leaped to the conclusion that they
didn't mind. (Clarification is always possible, something that is missing in
these frozen examples.) So, this is not part of my 'idiolect,' as JL suggests.

I think that JL begins his analysis with the wrong account of the meaning of
'sure' in such a context:

>Problem with "sure" is the _meaning_. It means "secure, safe". But _what_  *is*
'safe, secure', when someone answers "Sure"?<

However, the meaning of 'sure' is not restricted to 'secure, safe.' (The OED
devotes considerable space to this innocent-looking word.) In the imagined
contexts it means--because of a mis-hearing or a convention of which I am
unaware--simply, yes. Thus the OED (for one of 'sure's many senses):

c Used to emphasize yes or no; also alone = Certainly colloq. and dial.
(chiefly N. Amer.).

1803 G. COLMAN John Bull I. 4 Den. Troth, and myself, Mr. Dennis
Brulgruddery, was brought up to the church. Dan. Why, zure! 1813 Sk. Char.
(ed. 2) I. 83 `What, was Mad Ross there?'.. `Oh yes, sure'. 1861 WAUGH Birtle
Carter's Tale 6 A glass ov ale. Ay, sure; yo'st have it in a minute. 1862
MISS BRADDON Lady Audley xix, `You say a blacksmith has been here?' `Sure and
I did, sir.'1914 WODEHOUSE Man Upstairs 133 `Is that a fact?' `Sure,'
murmured Archibald. 1963 MRS. L. B. JOHNSON White House Diary 26 Nov. (1970)
11 If it had been a request to chop off one's right hand one would have said,
`Sure'. 1975 R. STOUT Family Affair xi. 130 I'm under arrest. I asked if you
could finish your lunch, and they said sure, no hurry.
The meaning of 'Sure,' as a response to 'Do you mind if I sit here?' can best be
understood in light of this sense of 'sure,' where the hearer is answering, for
whatever reason, a different question, one to which the appropriate answer is
'yes.' Of that much I'm reasonably certain.

Robert Paul
Department of Newtonian Pomology
Mutton College