[lit-ideas] Re: Sundays for a While

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2009 10:58:21 -0700

I shall be gone for a while.  Here's stuff:

come in
come in
the oak hydrangeas and those climbing ones have finally shrugged off the rust
though they do seem to have passed it on to the honeysuckle
lets hope it also proves sturdy
just poke around
your looking at the snowballs makes me wonder whether
you spotted the variegated one underneath
which is quite a treasure
have you seen the hydrangea over beside where the australian fern died
or that nice weird colored one
definitely a hydrangea though which i cant recall
halfway to the neverbudge
feel free
the dog doesn't know the meaning of harm
or blooming treasured plant

you wouldn't believe the gap between is such an interesting phrase
you wouldn't believe the gap between how hemigway's suicide occurred in a sixth form english class and
how it actually happened in idaho
you wouldn't believe the gap between talking about running in front of bulls
bullshitting about bulls
and actually dying with a horn through one's neck
you wouldn't believe the gap between how my students believe war to be and my grandfather's experience in a scottish regiment in the front line of the first world war you wouldn't believe the gap between actually getting old and how it looks in movies
you wouldn't believe the gap between how i first heard
please mind the gap
and how i hear it now
smell this flower

in tennis
the thing that strikes me occasionally
apart from the ball
is how much men want to emulate heroes
when this is quite unnecessary
at club level in tennis it suffices
as it does in soccer badminton many other sports
to hit the thing to where the other fellow isn't
simple
but guys at least seem determined to try to drive the ball through the back wall
or execute a spin that would wow the crowd at any open
i'm often impressed
but not beaten

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon