[lit-ideas] Sunday Wotsit

  • From: David Ritchie <profdritchie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2012 09:22:25 -0700

The tells are clear, twitches, slight obstacles
that block the realtor's path to a win.
She dutifully blathers.
I listen to the charming noises an old wooden floor makes,
admire the lovely Victorian windows.
She's saying how wonderful pretty much everything about the place is.
I agree, knowing that her job is to be partial
and close.
I move a pace apart and
sniff: do
people really believe that shiny new appliances in the updated kitchen and
paint here and there and
bits of new carpet are enough to distract one from
the fan that's going full blast in the basement?
Do they we'll see the
mask and not wonder what lies beneath?
Do we come now sans noses,
deaf to the old, old tale