[lit-ideas] Sunday Wotsit

I've never seen a wotsit with a link in to a podcast, so you'll find at the end
of para number uno "The Icebreaker Episode." Within that episode, you'll find
an Irish woman telling a joke.  If you're anything at all like me it's possible
that in addition to finding the joke funny (it's the one that finishes, "why
are we speaking Spanish?") you'll begin to wonder how and why it is that some
Irish people can be roundabout, un-modern, so not to-the-point in their speech
and yet remain charming, engaging, very much present in the trickly tapestry of
today.  http://www.publicradio.org/columns/dinnerpartydownload/

One section of the newspaper yesterday was on about a re-birth of floor
coverings.  "Go out and buy carpets," was the gist of it, the bottom line, the
take-home message.  In a related piece--people will read more, the theory goes,
if stuff is arranged thematically--an interior designer advised me to buy
books.  "Ah-ha," I thought, ever ready to applaud those who are in favor of
what I do.  She continues, "take the covers off and stack them by color."
This, she explained, in addition to making you seem smart, will brighten up any
home.

A second article explained how to go about painting the interior of your
garage.  On the day that I consider painting the walls, ceiling and floor of my
garage, I will know that I have finally read everything.

I survey, in lordly manner, my current floor covering--many stacks of
books--and wonder if I should attempt to re-arrange them.  By color, say.

Having eaten a bit of a Voodoo doughnut (my annual one) and not an apricot or a
walnut or something that expert study proves will help me live longer, I gather
to me an taste of Tempranillo, the one from Trader Joe, with the pig flying pig
on the label, and settle to considering plot.  For those of us who like the
sound of words, numpties who swirl them as one would wine, people who dub
others "miscreants" just for the fun of the term, for us the discipline of plot
and form are difficult.  We are diverted by assonance and dissonance and happy
association.

And yet I love a well-wrought mystery, which is to say a mystery that has
exactly the right form and is just a little different from all the other
mysteries I've read.  It's not all about plot, though.  Hollywood addresses
this problem with slightly odd faces, casting people whose features are
completely symmetrical.  Witness Owen Thingy's broken nose or that of Gerard
Depardieu.  What a world it would be if when actors ate Voodoo, the fat from
the doughnut was deposited in those parts of the nose that most need attention.
 Doughnut surgery substitute; it's a thin premise, but it just might work.

David Ritchie,
Portland,