[lit-ideas] Sunday Twofer

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2010 22:41:08 -0700

i am not the one you pick
i am not even among those you notice
but what i can be
you will see
is the Man Who...
just isn't remembered

Some guy in the Iliad, name of Patroclus, has been bothering me with song:
"If they knew what my future in borrowed armor held," he says,
"both of your immortal horses would get ready to weep right..?
Or maybe they'd want oats or something..?
They are horses!
And if I were to be comforted, by way of compensation for my death, 'fear not
your story will live'
well,
word to the wise,
borrowed armor is a great disguise.
but you might want to rinse it from time to time,
and when a person ends up with a spear in his belly,
who cares about gods fools and horses?
All of war is hell."

David Ritchie,
Portland,