[lit-ideas] Sunday Twofer

  • From: David Ritchie <profdritchie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2013 21:36:10 -0800

The News

In England a guy named Hazard turned out to be one himself; in the Chelsea
match he was sent off for kicking a ball boy.
Locally, a guy named Cannon turned out to be loose; a police officer, he was
indicted for firing at ten of his colleagues.  They returned fire.  Only one
person was injured.
SeaCube Container, a shipping-container leasing company, agreed to be acquired
by the Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan for $466.9 million.  Go teachers, go, eh?

People have been known to call it a bad freeway.
"No, bad freeway.  Stay.  Sit.  Roll over.  Good, now go away."
Route 99 in Seattle is to be undone is what I read.
I do hope so.
I value its weirdness, its funky entrances and exits, its completely nutty
location along the seafront.
A road, urgent with Westward urge, ugly, elevated, has long offered noisy
answers to the Sound.
May something better, like a park maybe, slouch towards Ballard to be born?

David Ritchie,
Portland,