[lit-ideas] Sunday Twofer

  • From: David Ritchie <profdritchie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2012 14:58:41 -0700

We are really quite small.  Some of us are smaller than others, and some of us
act as if we are bigger or more important than others but the facts are clear:
on any continent you care to name, no matter how tall we stand, we are smaller
than space, that whole big thing with twinkles in.  It's huge.  You know that;
me too.   Every time I try to compass or even simply to watch it go about its
business my little mind, possibly to prove a point, just says no.

The cat food bowl is empty.  I go in search of dry kibbly bits.  When passing,
I pick from last night's roasting pan a cold morsel of liver, covered in duck
fat.  Mac the dog demonstrates once again his mastery of do-it-yourself
chiropractic.  In dog language this may be negotiable tender but it doesn't
sway me.  I explain he's already had his.  I put the liver, pulled into
bite-sized bits, in front of Jeeves, the cat.  I also fill up the bowl with dry
stuff.  He walks right past the amuse bouche, gets stuck into real food.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon