[lit-ideas] Sunday Twofer

  • From: David Ritchie <profdritchie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2012 12:41:36 -0700

My family's continued existence is responsible for the local prevention of tree
sharks.  If all family were to disappear in a puff of hypothesis, I think I
might suspend in mid air between our very large douglas firs, from wires
presumably, at eye level with the breakfast table, a fibre glass fish or three.
 Also some cadmium red kelpy bits, or maybe remora, just to attract the eye.
That's what I believe I'd do.  In my grief.

Poets are not completely harmless.  You invite a certain kind to a party and
they drink you dry, but your common or garden species is simply a being who
looks longer and tries her best to tell you what she's seen.  Avoid by any
means possible poets who adopt precious voices when they read; they will annoy.
 Otherwise, like the fellow in the movie "Forever" who loves a life without
boredom and lives off tours of the Pere Lachaise cemetery, or, to make a
comparison closer to home, like a tortoise, your poet passes through gently,
enjoying the leavings and the leaves.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon