[lit-ideas] Re: Sunday Thing

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2008 17:00:42 -0800

Two Hopes

In the era of Napoleon and Wellington, after the pounding of siege guns, a "forlorn hope" was the group of men who charged up the rubble and into a breech. It was so called because the chances that those who volunteered for this task would survive were slim indeed. I was thinking about these men, and idly watching the professor in front of me clean his ear with the end of his spectacles, when I heard someone mention Spenser Weart and O.B. Toon; thus I was semi-alert when Project Ploughshare came up. P.P. was a proposal to blast harbors in Alaska's coastline, using thermonuclear bombs. People from a place called Point Hope opposed the project. I kid you not.

http://www.loe.org/shows/shows.htm?programID=92-P13-00041#feature2

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon