[lit-ideas] Sunday Story

I ought to be able to convey what it's like to play a two hour piece of
theater, but all I can say is, "It's like a tennis match."

Problem one is whether you have started well and at the right pace and pitch.
Problem two is are you indeed where you're supposed to be, and focused?
Then there's the issue of what to do with spin and bobble, unexpected but
predictable errors.
(This is not, after all, the pros.)

The thing began more or less according to plan, with hints that, even if I was
not actually winning, I was staying alive.  Then came a tough bit, a place
where slice was required, and close attention to drift and spin.

Towards the pause the pace picked up and there was a sense of play and flow.

The second part, was not a half; with the end in view, time slips more quickly
along.

An error!

The end comes into view.

Suddenly we're bowing and shaking hands.  I'm tired.

Soldiers used to think that the banging of guns on battlefields could bring on
a storm.

Applause, I believe, can dispel fog.

David Ritchie,
Portland,