[lit-ideas] Sunday Story

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 8 May 2011 12:35:29 -0700

Last night at dinner a friend told me how a local coyote ate a chicken, pulled
from a neighbor's coop.  The remains left in his yard were: feathers, feet, and
a completely intact egg.  "Quite the word picture," I thought.  I'm a word
picture kind of bloke.  While I enjoy benefits of contemporary technology--this
computer for example--I grew up somewhat behind the times, and have never
completely caught up.  When everyone my age was listening to the Beatles and
wondering who would get colour television first, I bought from a junk shop a
mahogany, wind-up, seventy eight record player.  Also a box of steel needles,
and some records.  I remember liking a First World War era performance of Hugo
Alfven's "Swedish Rhapsody."  Google it and you'll get Mantovani:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Be3BZeoqs3Y  Ungroovy to the nth degree.   We
did have television, and I liked that, but I was very fond of our Roberts
radio-- a wooden box coated in red vinyl-- and programs like "Round the Horne"
and "I'm Sorry I'll Read that Again."  More than thirty years ago, when I first
met my wife she owned a radio/cassette player, a Sankyo.  It's still working
just fine.  Thus in this world of whizzy things, I've had a week's worth on the
murder of Osama bin Laden, broadcast through a long-lived Sankyo.  When the
President says I can do without pictures, he's quite right.  Oh, here comes the
rain again.

David Ritchie,
Portland,