[lit-ideas] Subject: Re: The Surgical Strike Option

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 03:58:43 -0800 (PST)

Eric:

I brought up Clinton to show that the predatory
nature of domestic US politics is bipartisan.
(Clinton was probably right to order the missile
strikes.) But predatory politics leaves people
with lousy options, such as being:

* cynical and disbelieving of everything anyone in
power says,

* blindly trusting and likely to be burned by that
trust sooner or later, though often sooner,

* selectively cynical along partisan lines.

Omar:

Well, if this is not ridiculous I don't know what is.
Clinton ordered a missile strike against a pharmacy
plant in Sudan that turned out to be just that. I
don't know if there were any Republicans criticizing
the action at the time, but if there were they were
right for once. For Eric, this is a sad example of
"bypartisan cynicism."

I wish that I had more time and energy for this
discussion, but it's a bit difficult to take seriously
people whose philosophical position is that any
actions of any US government should be supported as
long as they are violent and directed against some
Muslim country.

O.K.

http://mail.yahoo.com