[lit-ideas] Stuff and Sense

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 16:16:51 EST

In a message dated 11/12/2009 1:14:29 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

When she said, "You'll miss me when I'm gone," he responded, "No I  won't."

"Why?"
"Well  mother, it's because I'm going to have you  stuffed.

---- referential analysis
        with the proviso, Adriano (all  rhythm, no soul) Palma.

                        you'll miss ME (Mrs Cheese) when I (Mrs. Cheese )
am gone (from the land of the  living).

                        No. I'll have you (Mrs Cheese) Stufffed.
                                  rewrite: I'll have your BODY stuffed.

Palma would say, Q. E. D.

But a Gricean would object,

  "Mrs. Cheese" refers to a psychosomatic unity that _says_  things.
   A stuffed Mrs Cheese does NOT say things (Cheese would have to  imagine
her saying things, to which he'd reply).

---

etc.

JLS